Friday 8 April 2022

How Twitter became a marketplace for Illicit Financial Flow through BITCOIN in Nigeria & Solutions.

Photo credit: Pixabay
Twitter Ban:

On the 5th June, 2021; Nigerians woke up to the news that the Nigerian government banned the usage of Twitter in the country and all hell let loose as numerous Nigeria citizens, home and abroad reacted to the development as a way to silence millions of users of the micro-blogging platform in Nigeria.

The development was triggered after a tweet by President Buhari was reportedly deleted and the number one citizen of Nigeria was temporary suspended on the same platform. This was as a result of "the Nigerian president Muhammadu Buhari, warning the southeastern people of Nigeria, predominantly Igbo people, of a potential repeat of the 1967 Biafran Civil War due to the ongoing insurgency in Southeastern Nigeria” as published on Wikipedia.

During the effective ban on the social media giant, many stakeholders lambasted Buhari; from Amnesty International, to a number of diplomats of some countries in Nigeria and notably; in a joint statement released by United States and the European Union:

I remember, getting involved from my base in South Africa and raised a concern on the hardship some honest Nigerian entrepreneurs and digital marketers might face owing to the Twitter ban and urged the Nigerian government to let the beef slide.

While the ban was in course, many Nigerians had continued to access the site after the suspension using virtual private networks (VPNs) but most corporate organisations, including many media outfits, had obeyed the government's order.

My interview with some Nigerians most especially close friends who were still using the banned-platform at the time stated that Nigerians have built an economic marketplace through Twitter and a ban will not stop them from using it.

The Nigerian authority accused Twitter of siding with secessionists and concluded that before ending the ban, Twitter, should comply with the following:

·        *  Register in Nigeria.

·         * Appoint a designated country representative.

·         * Comply with tax obligations in Nigeria.

·         * Enroll Nigeria in its portal for direct communications between government officials and Twitter to manage prohibited content that violates Twitter community rules.

·         * Act with a respectful acknowledgement of Nigerian laws.

I describe this latest resolution between the Nigerian authority and Twitter as “check mate”; as this will make people of Nigeria to benefit from official proceeds arising from Twitter in the country and also opens an avenue for the micro-blogging company to take up responsibilities. On the 13th January, 2022; after seven (7) months of clampdown, the ban was lifted!

Bitcoin ban:

The Nigerian authority through CBN government - Godwin Emefiele, (Central Bank of Nigeria) confirmed the prohibition of cryptocurrencies on the 5th February 2021. They ruled that these virtual currencies are issued by unregulated and unlicensed entities, and therefore crypto trading is illegal.

In an article published on the 16th December, 2021 on Africa Report, by Tope Ayeni; are valid reasons (provided below):

Why CBN react with a ban?:

“Many other countries around have banned cryptocurrencies. They justify this as a means to counter fraud and terrorism by locking bank accounts.

It is the CBN’s mandate to regulate the banking system in Nigeria, so it has the right to ban cryptocurrencies. But some urge the regulators to allow the trade in crypto, as it does with other currencies that are not legal tender in the country such as the British pound and the US dollar.

The CBN doesn’t accept that parallel. Mr. Osita Nwanisobi, the director of the bank’s corporate communications department, says that pounds and dollars cannot be compared to cryptocurrencies.

He told The Africa Report: “The restriction of cryptocurrencies in our financial system is not targeted at anybody but based on deep analysis and the risks it portends to our financial system. The currencies mentioned above [pounds and dollars] are legal currencies of sovereign nations, issued by known entities.”

He added: “The CBN has just issued its CBDC called the eNaira and this is a legal tender in Nigeria. We do not recognise any other virtual currency and therefore have no plans to legalise any other.”

However, as our Lagos-based financial analyst points out: “The issue with the eNaira is that it takes away one of the major attractions of cryptocurrencies which is that a lot of users are very excited with regards to the absence of centralised authority.”

Click on the link below to view official statement from CBN: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:58c6173f-7f13-44ac-8c37-b83116abf769

My research:

Having acknowledging (with serious observations) the recent ban and lift-of-ban on Twitter and the on-going ban on Bitcoin; I decided to embark on a research on both Twitter as a social media platform in connection with Bitcoin as a banned mode-of-payment in Nigeria.

My research started officially, few days after CBN made the announcement in February 2021 and even though I wasn’t physically available in Nigeria at the time I beefed up myself with necessary information, tools and security in relation to my social media presences (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube).

I decided setting at work, remembering leaving no stones unturned in finding a lead to the most important questions that I set before me. I tried using my level of technology involvement and education to unravel the misery.

Encounter A:

Q1: Which social media platforms do people use for illicit activities?

A1: Most users love Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and Whatsapp to carryout whatever they need to do; either business or personal (legal & illegal). It took me 9 months (November, 2021) to find the first lead and it was when a Bitcoin investor approached me on both Instagram and Whatsapp and persuaded me to go into Bitcoin trading. Please note, I’m in South Africa and trading of Bitcoin is allowed in the Republic of South Africa.

My Bitcoin investor succeeded in recruiting me to the platform but mind you, I joined so that I see what has been hidden in the new scam-bait by this Bitcoin investor. As time goes on the Bitcoin investor encouraged me to fund my Luno’s Bitcoin account which I didn’t heed to his directives and he got frustrated.

A month or two, the Bitcoin investor came back to me with another strategy and this time on Whatsapp. He persuaded he can fund my Luno’s account with R3000 worth of Bitcoin and that he needs my Whatsapp app login to be able to teach me how to trade.

I fell for it and in the end the Bitcoin investor hijacked my Whatsapp app successfully on 4th November, 2021 and that was after I already left the mobile application in August 2021. Though, I remember notifying some close friends on what Whatsapp profile that I might be leaving the mobile app and when I finally left my friends were worried.

In the long run, the so-called Bitcoin investor took over my Whatsapp app after I unknowingly helped him by sending him the PIN (second-factor notification code) and he downloaded a new Whatsapp on his side and tried to convince my contacts about his illegal Bitcoin trading scam.

My Instagram Post (after the Bitcoin Investor scammer hijacked my Whatsapp): https://www.instagram.com/p/CV20CgyIrrA/

The fake Bitcoin Investor’s IG profile (at the time):https://www.instagram.com/investor_elan788

Conclusion: Be careful of people using Whatsapp and Instagram to invite you to join Bitcoin trading (Buy/Sell) and Bitcoin mining as majority are fake. Real Bitcoin investors, traders and miners are available you just need to look before you leap!

After I got my finger burnt in November, 2021; I almost gave up on my research but little did I know that I am on the right course and my pursue to unravel the linkage between social media users and Bitcoin transactions across Africa and Nigeria as a case-study.

My first encounter is a proof that illegal activities surround some social media users in relation to Bitcoin as a financial system that encourages or facilitates fraud, blackmail and even terrorism.

Encounter B (Please note real identities and banking information of the two suspects are withheld as they will be reported to the necessary authorities in Nigeria):

Q2: How I discover that Twitter is one of the social media platforms used in illicit Bitcoin transactions in Nigeria?

A2: More temptations started coming in from digital marketers that are selling or trading on Bitcoin from right, left and centre. At this time, I have no one to trust and every day the urge to trade and mine Bitcoin increases while not forgetting my primary reason of starting the research.

I have to let time healed loosing of my Whatsapp to that fake Bitcoin investor (digital marketer) so I waited till February, 2022 before I make a move. I started researching more on Bitcoin but no head-way in the direction of my research so I decided to play around on all my social media platforms. This time, I shared on my Twitter timeline on 25th March, 2022 “Can someone sell BTC to me or refer someone to me?”

What I got led me to discover that some digital markers in Nigeria are hiding under Twitter to involve in illegal financial flow through Bitcoin after the mode-of-payment and financial system has been banned by CBN (Central Bank of Nigeria).

In less than 30 minutes after I tweeted “Can someone sell BTC to me or refer someone to me?” I got two people responded and both of them are from Nigeria and is a pity no Bitcoin digital marketers responded from anywhere else.

So I followed through, I chatted with a young lady (Twitter handle withheld) under a fake name (A...R...I...Z…O…N…A) who claimed to know someone who can sell me Bitcoin and in less than 2 minutes a guy chatted me up on Twitter (Twitter handle of the second suspect is also withheld) but his fake name is (DARAMOLA).

I knew both (DARAMOLA) and (A...R...I...Z…O…N…A) are located in Lagos, Nigeria after I did a quick check on their identities and lo and behold I found them on a professional social media platform (LinkedIn). With (A...R...I...Z…O…N…A)’s identity, it was easy to get; as her Twitter profile page reflected some professional information and with those I got her full name, email, phone numbers and picture(s).

(DARAMOLA) and I talked business and it seems he was surprised I was chatting with him. I think he likes my personality or a fan of me I must say. We agreed on how much I’d pay for 0.00063BTC (Naira22, 000) and is time to confirm if truly he has Bitcoin to sell (Please note many of them {digital marketers} go about Bitcoin trading without having any on sale) so he asked me for my Bitcoin wallet to do a transfer. I later gave him my wallet to transfer the Bitcoin. Initially I believe he will not send before he received payment so I gave him me a wrong wallet since all I needed was a proof he sells Bitcoin. The transfer wasn’t successful and he sent me a proof via my Twitter inbox because of my wrong wallet but I didn’t know until the next day that he made an attempt to send the Bitcoin (in so doing I knew he sells Bitcoin for real).

After 15 hours of failed transfer, I signed into my Twitter on Saturday morning (26th March, 2022); saw (DARAMOLA)’s message. I got the lead and I wanted to back off from the transaction as I already got proof that (DARAMOLA) uses Twitter to make illegal business transaction(s) through Bitcoin but he insisted that I sent him the correct wallet for him to send the BTC.

I tried without giving myself out to deter him from the transaction by telling him that he’d only receive the payment on coming Monday (28th March, 2022) and he had no issues with it then I gave him the correct wallet for the transfer to be done. To (DARAMOLA), he wanted to make the usual illegal proceeds from Bitcoin to me I wanted to arrive somewhere with my research so that the publication can go live after over a year of serious indulgence.

Is 6th April, 2022, I have not sent any monies to (DARAMOLA) as I don’t want to be part of his shady deals or continue to enrich is illegal money means through Bitcoin which remain banned in Nigeria.

My proof of transaction with (DARAMOLA) {Please note (DARAMOLA) tried to tamper (deleted) with evidence but I still prevailed via my technology know-how to retrieve those evidences}:

Evidence 1: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:db9c9486-dbe9-4fa2-bb36-03133ee8aeb2

Evidence 2: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:0b9497a6-26be-4a09-94e7-78277b9b847b

Evidence 3: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:bc207872-d0e0-4e9e-86b9-af4e63306b67

Evidence 4: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:8e42b969-c274-4ae1-86a1-2a3840b4cd30

Evidence 5: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:7d5dd60f-9277-49c3-a64f-8a86def42036

Evidence 6: https://acrobat.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:c91b3b3e-5a51-41cc-bcb1-59ddc9701606

Conclusion: Yes, some Nigerians are not law-abiding when it comes to heeding to CBN’s Governor’s directives in terms of Bitcoin ban in Nigeria and Twitter is one out of many online social media platforms they used to perpetrate their illegal activities.

Please note – Encounter B: While real identities of the two suspects are withheld; necessary efforts have been put into this research to make sure they are prosecuted by the necessary authorities in Nigeria until then their identities will remain undisclosed.

My Opinion: Nigerian government and its arms of authorities have to be WOKE if we will make something great of that country. We can’t no longer remain the same in the way we handle our nation building collectively or individually.

Nigeria has come of age and so the youths that are deemed for tomorrow’s leadership and if youngsters are not getting it right from abiding by laws or by-laws in our country then which future are we talking about? We will just be recycling public-funds embezzlers, vote-riggers, corrupt business leaders, corrupt entrepreneurs, corrupt digital marketers, corrupt financial leaders, corrupt police officers, and corrupt church leaders and so on.

As our nation approaches and prepares for 2023 elections, I will implore the government of Nigeria to leave any stones unturned in sanitizing digital marketing space in relation with how Nigerian youths consume the social media platforms through the internet network space.

One thing that is possible is, we can prevent, curb or remove corruption through the internet network space only we just have to apply ourselves and be responsible at the same time accountable with the step(s) we take towards tackling lawlessness in motherland.

Solutions:

Just like I raised my concern during Facebook (Meta) data privacy (usage) scandal of their registered users that led to one thing to the other until eventually something was done and today the social media giant is facing a rocking numerous court-cases that are tearing apart if not down.

Also, I am saying watch your back Nigerian government before the micro-blogging social media platform finish us through the back door.

Twitter founder, Jack Dorsey; recently in a report regretted that he centralized internet, "Centralizing discovery and identity into corporations really damaged the internet. I realize I'm partially to blame, and regret it."

As Affirm CEO and co-founder Max Levchin points out in replying to Dorsey's tweet, the internet "changed from arthouse to blockbuster because it needed to gain an audience and make money".

Elon Musk, recently took over Twitter after purchasing almost $3 billion worth of stock in the microblogging platform; acquiring a 9.2 percent stake, making him the company's largest shareholder, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO took to his account to ask his 80.3 million followers: "Do you want an edit button?" and we can only hope thing would change for the better than an edit button.

We can tackle all our internet woes through different telecommunications and broadcasting (mobile + fixed) networks available in Nigeria if our NCC (Nigerian Communications Commission) and NBC (Nigerian Broadcasting Commission) agencies do their job very well by making sure that illegal or banned website are securely segregated from world-wide-web and thereby unreachable for the youths to manipulate.

 

By Olagunju, Success Taiwo.

                          For more information about me: https://taiwoolagunju.my-free.website/

 


No comments:

Post a Comment